Golden Beets

Golden Beets
Golden Beets with Garlic and Rosemary

Thursday, April 20, 2017

Sour dough starter; how to, step by step.

How to make a sour dough starter. Step by step.

The pineapple juice method was borrowed from a post in the fresh loaf by Sourdoughlady.  My thanks, sourdoughlady! See her detailed step by step guide here.



Slow-Moe 2.0 the saga continues. 

Well I am back in the bread baking saddle again! Slow-Moe 2.0 will be born today!

Day 1: - 2T whole wheat flour, 2T pure pineapple juice. This is the method I used some years ago, with great results.

  Bread making with natural leaven, is as much science as it is art. This is why, an organized lab / kitchen is so important. Have everything you need for a formula, at the ready!

Day 4: there has not been much activity since day one. I pushed on anyway. At noon, I discarded all but 32 grams of the starter. I add to this 32 grams of WW flour and 32 grams of water. I noticed that the starter no longer looked to be 100% hydration. I realized
that the remaining 32 grams of starter contained 16 grams of flour. I added an additional 16 grams of water. At 5P.M. I checked on Slow-Moe, to my delight, I see the first sign of life! Look for yourself. Smile.

Day four thoughts:

Patience is a virtue. 


My starter is at day five, Slow-Moe2 is looking active and smelling delish! However, still far from a stable strong starter. I needed to bake something, quick bread was just the ticket! One spur of the moment Irish soda. bread.

Photo #1 - Slow-Moe2 at day five after 40g/40g/40g feeding. Such a happy little guy! 


Photo #2 - Good housekeeping recipe, Irish Soda bread.


#Sourdough #NaturalLeaven #SourdoughStarterfromscrach



1 comment:

Hood Site said...

I absolutely love the Hood Site! I have been a member for over a year now and I have never had any issues. The customer service is excellent and the hoodsite.info is very user-friendly.