Golden Beets

Golden Beets
Golden Beets with Garlic and Rosemary

Sunday, August 27, 2017

Apple Pie

Yesterday, my bride was going to be out all day. That left me, with the kitchen to myself! I quickly decided, to try my hand at an end of summer apple pie. For this bake I used two recipes as reference, with minimal changes as follows:
The filling:  http://www.joyofbaking.com/ApplePie.html
1. substituted the pastry formula
2. Used Tapioca flour instead of corn starch

The Pastry: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Cafe-Azuls-Pastry-Dough-107241

1. I used "only" three sticks of butter

Lets get started!
First, I made sure everything I used to make the pastry spent time in the fridge or freezer. The pie pan, silicone mats, the vinegar and so on.
After I spiced and salted the filling, I let it sit at room temp. for about an hour to release the natural juices.
Meanwhile, I got started on the pastry. All the dry ingredients, with the fat ready to cut in.
The fat is cut in, ready to add the wet ingredients. It is important not to over work the dough; If it seems to be dry add a Tbs. of water at a time, till you can squeeze it together into a ball. Over working, will make the pastry tough. Smile, live and learn.
In my haste to keep the dough cool, I neglected to get any photos of the coming together, folding. Ready for a rest in the fridge, to chill out.
The pastry is chilled and ready to roll!
The pastry was surprisingly easy to roll out! This is the part where I have failed in the past. Now the bottom and top pastry dough, go back in the fridge, to chill. While I work on the filling.
I drained the filling in a colander for 30 minutes, probably could have went longer. However I got exactly 1/2 cup, just as the recipe called for. I Reduced the liquid with the butter. Time to pull it all together!
After adding the tapioca and the reduced liquid to the filling. I Then, placed the pastry and filling in the pan.
Carefully, I place the top pastry. Truth be told this pastry was very easy to handle.
The top pastry, vented, with the edges fluted. I made a mess fluting the crust. I will get better with practice. I was told this is called a rustic pie. I think, that is just a nice way of telling me, I screwed the pooch! However, as you will see, it did not come out half bad. "Rustic" LOL.
After 55 minutes out of the oven!
10 minutes later, out of the pan clean, on to the cooling rack.
The proof is in the tasting. The filling was divine. The pastry was just a little tough. I over worked the dough; instead of using my first instinct, to add a little more water. Not a fail, but next time, I will do better!

 Until next time, peace out!

 Will F,
AKA
 The baking Fool!















2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious!
So How Did it taste?

Theroadsidepieking said...

I assume you want the truth? LOL
First the good, the filling was divine. The not so good, the pastry was a bit tough. However I do know why, this can be fixed next time. After using the amount of water called for, the dough was still very dry. Instead of using my best instincts, and adding a little more water a Tbs at a time, I tried to force the dough to come together. I worked that shaggy mess, like I was making French bread! To no avail, I still wound up adding water. Since I still have enough dough in the freezer for one more pie, ( it was not so bad I need to throw it out). It will be a while till I try this again. The motto of the story? Live and learn. Smile.