Golden Beets

Golden Beets
Golden Beets with Garlic and Rosemary

Tuesday, September 19, 2017

100% whole wheat Irish soda bread


Hello, friends,
Todays bake is a Jane Mason, inspired, 100% whole wheat Irish soda bread. Boy they don't call it quick bread for nothing! If you are interested in Ms. Masons, original formula, you can find it on her web site. Virtuous Bread http://www.virtuousbread.com/about/
My interpretation, is a hybrid of the white flour soda bread I make and Ms. Masons formula. The following are some of the extras I added.

1. Baking powder
2. Caraway seed...
3. Orange zest
4. Butter
5. Raisins and dry cranberry
6. Egg
7. Greek Yogurt
8. Black strap molasses
The bread is out of the oven cooling, the house smells divine!
The photos:
1. All the ingredients and implements, assembled in my tiny kitchen.
2. The fat (butter) cut in and the liquid added; ready to mix.
3. all the ingredients incorporated and the dough shaped.
4. Out of the oven, smelling great. After dinner my official taster, (wife) will get the first slice!

5. Update: The crumb shot!
This is a keeper! I am Very happy with this healthier, whole wheat soda bread. In fact it is so good, It can totally replace my white flour version.


Thanks for stopping by Diane. I am glad you tried and liked the recipe! Yours looks great too! 

  100% Whole wheat Irish soda bread

 By, The Roadside Pie King

Ingredients Dry

  • 650 Grams White Whole Wheat Flour
  • 3 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 TBS. Caraway seed
  • 2 TBS. Orange zest
  • 4 TBS. butter
  • 1 cups raisins & 1 cup dry cranberry



Ingredients Wet
  • Egg beaten
  • 450 grams reduced fat butter milk
  • 150 grams plain whole milk Greek yogurt
  • 1 TBS. Black strap molasses

  • Directions
  • In a big mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, soda, salt, caraway seeds and orange zest
  • Cut in butter until it reaches a coarse meal consistency. I used a pastry knife.
  • Add raisins and cranberry
  • Combine liquids separately. Add liquids to dry ingredients.
  • Mix until a soft dough forms. At some point it will become hard to stir it, and it will be better to use your hands. Kneading the dough is the best way to combine all the ingredients completely. The dough will be sticky, use wet hands to keep it from sticking. Do not add more flour. Knead right in the bowl, as little as possible to incorporate all the ingredients.
  • Shape the dough into A ball, place it on a greased cookie sheet. Flatten the ball slightly and cut an X about 1/4" deep in the top of the loaf.
  • Bake at 375 for 35 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.





19 comments:

hh said...

I must admit, I haven't heard of some of these ingredients! But I've always wanted to try and bake bread. I've never actually tried soda bread before so it's been added to my to do list!

Theroadsidepieking said...

Thanks for your reply Chelsea. I am sure you can find every ingredient at your local store;nothing exotic here. Soda bread / quick breads are the best way to get your feet wet, with bread baking. Look around the page, I have a link for white flour soda bread. Great place to start!
Peace,
The Roadside Pie King

Laura Dove said...

Do you know what? I've never had soda bread! I think I have been missing out but now I am gluten free and it's unlikely I ever will! I might try to make this with the children!

Bhumi said...

This bread looks so delicious! I really wanna try it once but I am not sure if I'll find caraway seeds here.. some of the ingredients were new to me but I think they're totally worth buying!

Unknown said...

this makes me miss Ireland so much!

Diane said...

A very good recipe and simple, and I made it this evening using this recipe, except that I added 1/3 cup of brown sugar and baked it in a cast iron skillet for 45 minutes. I don't see any way to post a picture here, but the recipe works just fine!

Unknown said...

Woah that's a lot that goes in to soda bread! I've never tried it before but I've heard it's delicious! I love the caraway seeds in it, I've had bread with caraway seeds recently and never want to eat any other kind!

Theroadsidepieking said...

Great job, Diane! I am going to add the photo of your adaptation of the recipe to the end of my blog! Thanks so much, glad you enjoyed the recipe!

Theroadsidepieking said...

Scotch and Stilettos, oulala!
It so is delish! This one goes good with coffee! Scotch, maybe not so much!

Agnes Vazhure said...

Wow!! I am a huge fun of raisin. So I'll better check this whole wheat soda bread.

Unknown said...

This year I promised myself I won`t eat so much bread, so far it was doing good. But look, temptation everywhere :D I love the idea of an easy recipe.

Theroadsidepieking said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Theroadsidepieking said...

Air, water and bread, the three essential of life! Smile. This whole grain bread, uses no refined sugar. Black strap molasses, is known to be the best sweetener, heath wise. Really this bread is not all that bad for you. You could do much worse!

Ana said...

The bread looks incredibly delicious! These days I'm trying my baking skills and can't wait to try this bread! Thanks for sharing the recipe with us!

Theroadsidepieking said...

You are very welcome, Ana, make sure your stop back to share your experience with the recipe!
Peace.

Sonika said...

I am surely going to try this receipe, I love to bake foods and this is one of the tempting receipes i read.

Christopher Mitchell said...

I didn't even know this existed until today, but you've definitely sold me on giving it a try! Thanks for bringing this to my attention! When I take a peak at all the ingredients, it seems like it'd add up to something fairly nice!

Theroadsidepieking said...

Glad, you like the recipe, Sonika. Please Send me a photo of your try! Follow the p0ie king by email!

Theroadsidepieking said...

You are right, Christopher, these ingredients make for a very tasty easy to make quick bread!